Reeling out the movie theme park offerings for the first time, Resorts World Sentosa yesterday, pulled the drapes off a pair of the world’s tallest duelling coasters, a castle from the world of Shrek, a live show by the infamous Universal Monsters and celebrity look-a-likes including Marilyn Monroe and Betty Boop.
Mr Tan Hee Teck, CEO of Resorts World Sentosa, said: “Asians love movies and we are proud to introduce the region’s first and only Universal Studios theme park. Universal Studios Singapore will be one of the biggest and most exciting theme parks in the world, and it will be a tourism crown jewel for not just Singapore, but the whole region.
“Universal Studios Singapore will be its own unique experience and family destination with many new rides, shows and themes that can’t be found at other Universal Studios parks around the world,” said Tom Williams, chairman and CEO, Universal Parks & Resorts.
Universal Studios Singapore is located within Resorts World Sentosa, Asia’s most exciting family destination that is home to six hotels, a casino, the world’s largest Marine Life Park and a destination spa among other attractions.
Presenting the seven zones of Universal Studios Singapore:
1. Hollywood: Step into the center of the entertainment universe where Broadway-style theater and an eye-catching collection of eateries and shops line its streets. Mel’s Drive-In™, from the hit movie American Graffiti, serves up burgers and cokes the old-fashioned way. Framed by dynamic architecture, palm trees and the famous Walk of Fame, guests will feel as if they have landed themselves at Hollywood Boulevard.
2. New York: Feel the spirit and energy of America’s biggest and grandest city as you stroll the sidewalks of the bold and romantic Big Apple that appears in all great movies. This is where all the classic landmarks of NYC prevail -the city skylines, neon lights, and facades that set the scenes for big city fun and real-time movie production. LIGHTS! CAMERA! ACTION!™, a special effects stage hosted by Steven Spielberg brings you behind the scenes of intriguing movie sets and Stage 28 offers a chance to be part of real-time move production.
3. Sci-Fi City: The city of the future has arrived. Through the impressive portals into Sci-Fi City and into a futuristic metropolis filled with the most modern conveniences, remnants of past inhabitants and cultures, as well as visitors from around the world and other planetariums, this is where the future lies. The entire city is set atop and powered endlessly by an enormous energy-producing substructure that appears to draw its necessities from the wind, sun and water sources above. Catch glimpses of the subterranean world as you get tossed into the tumultuous battle of Humans versus Cylons on the Battlestar Galactica™ dueling coasters, the tallest of its kind in the world.
4. Ancient Egypt: Ancient pyramids and obelisks stand fast against the sands of time as you are transported to 1930’s Egypt, the Golden Age of Egyptian Exploration. Travel to an era when entire Pharaoh’s tombs were discovered-and their terrible curses unleashed. Take the path of a daring archeologist as you unravel the cryptic riddles of the Sphinx in this sand-swept land.
5. The Lost World™: Divided into two themed areas: Jurassic Park™ and WaterWorld™, this is where familiar and time-tested favourites of Universal fans are renewed.
6. Far Far Away: Step into the land of Far Far Away, a showcase of how the rich and fairy-taled lived, inspired by the world of DreamWorks Animation’s Shrek franchise. Discover Shrek’s swamp house and stroll along Far Far Away’s glamorous Romeo Drive, the place for the hottest nightspot in town, Hook’s Knight Club. Under the beautiful arches of the world’s first Far Far Away Castle, meet Shrek and Princess Fiona and sing along with Donkey at attractions Shrek 4-D and Donkey Live.
7. Madagascar: Journey to Madagascar where you will find the four zooster heroes who were cast adrift while being transferred from New York City’s Zoo. Join them on an adventure through the dense tropical jungles on an original, one-of-a-kind immersive river ride with state-of-the-art animated figures, digital projection, evocative sound, and moving show-action effects at Madagascar.